Thursday, July 25, 2013

Gallows Humor #8: FINIS!

The Fairfax memorial service has a coordinator other than me!  I’m done!  God is good indeed!

The last item I was working on was collecting accounts of the dumpster months.  ChristyAnne’s story is not available in electronic format.  Juli’s reflection, a context for a larger thought, is available.

Juli Loesch Wiley is the best writer in the pro-life movement: balanced, funny, insightful, unpredictable, imaginative, clear, gentle, gutsy, independent, prayerful, loving.  One of the great blessings of my life was that she lived awhile in the DC area, including a stint with my family.  In fact, where I’m writing now used to be a prayer room, then her room.

Today is the feast of St. James.  I think of James and his brother John as another Martha/Mary pair: John the loving contemplative, and James the activist.  That may be just ignorant confusion; the activist James probably wasn’t John’s brother, but rather another man with the same name.   Anyway, Juli’s reflection starts with a pungent remark from the Letter of St. James (the activist).

What follows is an excerpt from “Conformed to Christ,” by Juli Loesch Wiley, published in the flagship issue of Caelum et TerraC&T is a personalist, agrarian, Christian journal, a delight to the left, often intemperate, illustrated as thoughtfully as the New Yorker.  The editor had ties in Maryland and Michigan, so he settled carefully in midpoint Ohio – which is neither.  His approach to politics and religion is similar.

Sin, when it is full grown, brings forth death. James 1:15

On December 21 – on the Winter Solstice, the darkest day of the year – I went out with a few friends before dawn to collect garbage bags from the dumpsters behind some Washington, D.C. businesses.  We hauled our “take” – eight bags – to a secluded area and went through the contents.  And we found what we were looking for.  There, amidst cigarette butts, newspapers, and half-eaten hamburgers, we found the battered bodies of children.

I was not shocked.  I’d seen the pictures and I knew what to expect.  Still, something made me catch my breath as I held in my hand the severed shoulder, arm, and hand of a child who was perhaps 10 to 12 weeks into life at the time of death.  The arm, which was intact from shoulder to fingertips, measured about the length of my little finger: the hand alone was as long as the end of my own finger up to the first joint.

No, we were not shocked, my friends and I; we hardly spoke.  We prepared the remains as respectfully as we could, said a brief prayer, and buried them.

But that arm stretching the length of my finger, and that delicate, sensitive hand, continue to haunt me.  They are a blunt kind of evidence – like traffic-killed raccoons gummed with red, or the mutilated body of an Indian on a Guatemalan roadside – that we are being steadily diminished.  Something is tearing us apart.
 

Full article available.  Thanks, Juli.

No comments:

Post a Comment